all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spicy Cooked Cabbage




Let’s talk cabbage!  OK, cooked cabbage doesn’t take a pretty picture and it can surely emit a stinky aroma throughout your house if cooked poorly.

My love affair with cabbage started many years ago, whether it was raw or cooked.  It’s cheap, it’s subtly sweet, it’s aromatic, it’s tasty and it’s filling.  Unfortunately, it gets a bum rap even though it is filled with vitamins A, C and E, is high in fiber, low calorie and fat free.  Maybe it is not only because it isn’t pretty but because some people tend to over-cook it into a mushy grey mess.

For best results, cabbage should be thinly sliced and cooked a short amount of time; thereby, reducing the unpleasant odor.  The longer it cooks, the stronger it smells.  There is a ton of ways to cook it:  in a noodle dish, as a soup, as a salad, sauerkraut, egg rolls, stuff it, but my favorite is just simply cooked, adding a few spices and served.  I especially love the caraway seeds with it and the smoked paprika not only gives it great flavor, it adds great coloring also!

Cabbage shines when it is cooked properly or not at all! 



Spicy Cooked Cabbage

Ingredients:

1 small head cabbage
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
¼-½ teaspoon caraway seeds
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8-¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon seasoned pepper

Method:

Chop cabbage into approximately 1” pieces.
Place cabbage in large pan, add a small amount of water, bring to a boil.
Lower heat to a simmer.
Cook for about 8 minutes.
Drain well.
Add olive oil and remaining ingredients.
Serve


That’s some tasty cabbage!



16 comments:

comfycook said...

I love cabbage to. I have a recipe to make which is similar to this. You have convinced mt to make one of these. Looks so delicious.

Check out my giveaway. Good choice of items.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I love cabbage and I often do a similar type of dish with an added sliced onion to it. Yummy Diane

Sweet and Savory said...

There is something waiting for you at my blog. Please take a look.
http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2010/04/award.html

From the Kitchen said...

We like cabbage in many ways. This looks delicious and I'm putting it in my "file". We are now headed into Chicago for some Fox and Obel and Whole Foods shopping. Do you get into "town" very often?

Best,
Bonnie

My cooking experiments said...

Yum is all i can say over this dish.Love anything with heat on it.Lovely blog here.following u.

Italians Do Eat Better said...

Che bel piatto! Mi piace :-)

Mags said...

I tolerate the stinky house (and stinky bedroom later that night) because hubby adores cabbage. He's going to like this recipe a lot!

Anything Fits a Naked Man said...

My husband is a great lover of cabbage, I must definitely try this recipe!

Hi! I'm new to your blog and I'm so glad I stopped by, it's terrific! I'm your newest follower! Cheers!

Pam said...

comfyfood, great! I will be checking your blog out thanks for the visit!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, now you've got me thinking! I never thought about the onion and will add it! Thanks!

Sweet and Savory, how nice! I will be on my way to you shortly! Thank you so much!

From the Kitchen, hope you had a great time in "town!" I love Whole Foods! I go in occasionally now, not as much as before I retired. There's no city like Chicago though, so beautiful!

My Cooking Experiments, I agree; like the heat also! Thanks for following! I will be watching your posts!

Italians Do Better, I lost you in the translation but, thanks for stopping by! What is mi piace?

Mags, it does stink up the whole house but, if makes your hubby happy go for it and enjoy!

Anything Fits a Naked Man, really? Love your name and would like to know how you came up with that! I hope you try the cabbage for him, it's great! Thanks for following, that's terrific and I will be checking you out! Have a good evening!

3 hungry tummies said...

I just made some cabbage last night..this looks like a good side dish for meat or fish!

Lucie said...

This looks so tasty Pam, lovely idea, Lucie x

Pam said...

3 hungry tummies, it would be wonderful with either!

Lucie, thanks! Have a good day!

Karen said...

We love cooked cabbage. I made some last week with bacon, red pepper flakes and a little bit of ham. Finished the leftovers last night in a casserole layered with mashed potatoes, cheese, and ham. Delish!

Pam said...

Karen, I want to eat at your house! That sounds delicious, especially with the ham! Sometimes the leftovers are even better!

My Little Space said...

Now, this is a yummy side dish! Heathly and tasty at the same time, right! Enjoy!
Regards,
Kristy

Pam said...

My Little Space, it is healthy goodness! Have a great evening Kristy!