all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rise and Shine! Breakfast Reigns Supreme!



If I ruled the world, breakfast food would be served at every meal!

I’m nearly obsessed with breakfast and it is definitely my favorite meal of the day.  I never skip breakfast.  Breakfast tends to be a hurried affair most days but, I love to cook and eat a large breakfast, especially on Sunday morning.  There’s nothing better than a hearty breakfast!  Grabbing a piece of toast and heading out the door does not work for me. 

My favorite breakfast is crisp bacon, eggs over-easy, hash browns and whole wheat toast ~ topped off with a cup of strong black coffee.  However, I love oatmeal with raisins or dates, cold cereals, sausage, French toast, grits, pancakes, waffles, ham, Danish pastries, fresh fruit, bagels and on and on.  Oh, and casserole dishes like the one below!  In other words, there’s not much I don’t like for breakfast ~  breakfast rules!


Pork Sausage Casserole

Ingredients:

6 slices white loaf bread
1 pounds fresh bulk pork sausage with sage
10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 green onions, chopped
5 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Method:

Cut bread into 1” cubes and spread in a greased 9 x 12 casserole.
In medium skillet, brown sausage until fully cooked, draining off rendered fat.
Spread cooked sausage over the bread and top with the cheese and onions.
Stir together eggs, half-and-half, salt and dry mustard.
Pour over the cheese and onions.
Cover casserole with foil and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake covered casserole for 50 minutes or until set and slightly golden.
Remove from oven and let casserole set for 15 minutes.
Serve.

Tell me, do you love breakfast?  What is your favorite breakfast?

Enjoy your breakfast!   It jump-starts your day!



21 comments:

  1. I made this often when we were rv'ing full time. Love this stuff.
    Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out, and to make! The smells are different, and more comforting. Maybe because it's the first meal of the day, not sure. But..in all truth..my kids and I always loved having breakfast for supper too, back in my single parenting days...we ate it by candlelight to make is special...and, it was cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brunch looks fantasic but the cremed mushrooms look very yummy. Love your website, I will be back. diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dish. I love breakfast. Never leave home without it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love brunch too, but it's not really known here. I'll be over one Sunday morning to taste your casserole.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll keep reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes forget to eat breakfast, but I regret it if I do. I like porridge, or if I'm travelling, oat biscuits will do the same job. When I have chance to go out for breakfast with my husband, though, that's my favourite thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Pam, never forget breakfast, that's right!!
    Even if my breakfast is something different from your one (espresso, milk and choccolate, a cake of mine and fruit for me !)
    the important is never skip it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking casserole! I love a breakfast like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, I feel we have a lot in common including the Fanny Farmer cookbook!! As for my breakfast favorites...cold cuts, cheesee, soft-boiled eggs, a hard roll as found in Germany and fruit with lots of hot coffee. Of on the other hand, most everything else!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree about breakfast. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you! I could eat breakfast all day and everyday. I love eggs. My hubby doesn't think that breakfast should be for dinner though, he thinks it's weird. SO, I don't do it too often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you on the breakfast for every meal. This looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of our favorite meals for Christmas morning because you get to prep it out the night before.

    Plus it is so filling you aren't hungry an hour or two later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam, Love this recipe and love breakfast! I entirely agree with your sentiments and love your blog for that reason too! I did a post on eggs if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. corgidogmama, you've got it! Love it any time of the day! I never about having it by candlelight though, that would work and make it great! Good idea! Thanks!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, thanks! I have to say the mushrooms are at the top of the list for me and I hope you try them. Thanks for stopping by!

    Lazaro Cooks, right on! I just had a bowl of cereal and am good to go!


    Dedene, thanks! I will be watching your blog also! Come on over!!!

    Rachel Cotterill, I know what you mean but, I seldom skip it. Love my breakfast!

    Zia Elle, I want to come over for your breakfast! It sounds mighty fine to me!

    Dishesdone, it's a good dish for whatever occasion! Thanks!

    Susan, we do! I remember those hard rolls for breakfast in Germany and loved, loved it! Wish I could get back there for breakfast!

    El, great minds think alike! Thanks!

    Debbi Smith, I love eggs also about any way they are prepared. I understand with your husband as I'm sure many people think the same about breakfast for dinner!

    theUngourmet, maybe we could get something started here with promoting breakfast any time of the day!

    Chris, I so agree and usually serve something like this for breakfast when it is holiday time with the family here.

    lily, I'm so glad you agree! I will be checking your egg post out and thanks so much for the heads up!

    Jaime, great! I hope you pass it on to her! Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love breakfast too. Often times we have it for dinner. This is Mr. Mimi's favorite breakfast casseroles. Our kids refer to it as dad's breakfast.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me too! Breakfast is the meal of the best meal of the day; that casserole looks excwellent.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet your kids surely thinks Dad's breakfast is great! Love it for dinner too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh boy oh boy, sausage casserole dish! You're making me hungry! Oh, this sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks yummy. Breakfast is my favorite, too. French toast is high on my list and Belgian waffles. There's a great little place a few blocks away with terrific bread and cafe au lait, which is a treat. And then I'm happy with a nice sesame bagel and butter and a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My Little Space, it sounds like to me you are a great sausage lover just like my hubby. Good stuff!

    Buttercup, me too with the French toast! I haven't made Belgian waffles in a long time, they're great also! Wish I had place like that close by for the bagel; that would be a wonderful way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam