all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Friday, April 16, 2010

One Spicy Slaw


The crisp crunchiness of coleslaw is a wonderful thing, and you can serve it with almost anything.


This version leans toward the tangy spicy side, flavored with a vinegar dressing instead of a mayonnaise-based dressing.  The recipe calls for one tablespoon of brown sugar which I think really makes it too sweet since the ketchup seems to sweeten it just fine.  So add the brown sugar, or not, depending upon your taste. 

I have a passion for a good slaw and this is one of the best with me eating up more than my share of it!  How about you, do you have a passion for coleslaw?

Spicy Coleslaw

Ingredients:

1 small head green cabbage, finely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/3 cup cider vinegar
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons plus 1½ teaspoons ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar or to taste
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Method:

Place cabbage and onion in a large bowl, set aside.
Combine vinegar, water, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes and ground pepper in a non-reactive medium bowl.
Whisk until sugar and salt dissolve.
Taste for seasoning, stir into cabbage.
Let stand 10 minutes.
Cover, refrigerate until ready to serve.


 Cole slaw ~  the quintessential barbecue side dish!  Yum!




16 comments:

  1. Your 'slaw sounds really interesting Pam, I have never seen ketchup as an ingredient before, think it's well worth a try.

    Are red pepper flakes spicey? I imagine they are the same as our chilli flakes.

    Thanks for the recipe, a definite must try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brownieville Girl, it's a little unusual with the ketchup but, it works great. The red pepper flakes are spicy and add heat also so, use much less if you don't care for the hot taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love slaw too and I like that I have a new recipe now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molto interessante questo piatto! Buon week end, kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really good. I will have to make this for my daughter who loves this kind of food..Happy Friday!! Winona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie Smith, thanks! Glad you like it!

    Italians Do Eat Better, thanks! It is a great dish! You have a great weekend also! Bacio! Ciao!

    Shabbychicdiva, hope your daughter likes it! Here's wishing you a Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a interesting slaw recipe, my husband loves slaw. I wonder if I could leave out the brown sugar all together, I'm not big on too sweet things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this, but never knew how to make it..thanks for sharing Pam :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, you're welcome! Have a great weekend!

    Lyndsey, yes! I also do not like really sweet things and omit the brown sugar.

    Gulmohar, you're welcome and I hope you have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great twist on coleslaw. Pepper flakes are a fantastic addition.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's good!! With no ketchup for me tahnks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is another recipe for me to add to my 'must try' pile - a great (& spicy !) twist on an old favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mimi, thanks! Those pepper flakes add a little heat.

    Zia Elle, that's fine. Just go with the brown sugar and forget the ketchup! You have a great weekend!


    Lynda, thank you! I know what you mean; my 'must try' pile is growing by the day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We eat cole slaw almost every night during the summer. I love the spicy kick in this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cinnamon-Girl, we do too; eat it pretty often! It goes with about anything!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam