Mom’s Rhubarb and Apple Pie


Its spring, time for rhubarb!



Who said pie is just for dessert?  I highly recommend eating pie for breakfast!  Guess it may be a little indulgent but pie is at the top of my food list and it has to be nutritious with having all the food groups ~ flour, fruit, fat; right?  The problem is, sometimes it doesn’t last in this house for much more than a breakfast or two!



Recipes for rhubarb and strawberry pie are plentiful but, have you ever tried a pie of rhubarb and apples?  You are in for a great sweet treat if you’ve never eaten it!  Mom baked many rhubarb pies and I especially think this one is great with the apples.  I love the way the sour rhubarb mingles with the sweet apples, providing great texture also. 

The earliest records of rhubarb go back to 2700 BC in China, where it was cultivated for medicinal purposes.  It reached Europe in the 1600’s and finally Benjamin Franklin brought rhubarb seeds to the North American east coast in 1772.  It really was not widely used until the 1800’s when it became a popular ingredient in, you guessed it ~ pies!

Now, tell me:  do you eat pie for breakfast?



Mom’s Rhubarb and Apple Pie

Ingredients:

1½ cups rhubarb, diced
1½ cups apples, peeled and diced
¼ cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
Pastry dough for 2 crust 8” pie*

Method:

Prepare pie dough and line bottom of 8” pie pan.
Dust rhubarb and apples with flour.
Mix with sugar and salt.
Place fruit mixture on pie dough in pie pan.
Dot with butter.
Place lattice crust on top of pie filling.
Bake in hot oven, 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes until golden.
Set on wire rack to cool.

*Pie crust recipe here


There’s nothing better than a slice of a home-baked pie with fresh fruit!





Comments

  1. I could totally eat this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in the Midwest, so rhubarb brings back happy memories of my childhood. I love the history you posted about rhubarb. It makes your blog a lot of fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pie looks great. I love rhubarb. It is such an underused ingredient in kitchen today. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think pie tastes best at breakfast! Especially pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of it with apples, but your recipe sounds wonderful; what a yummy breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never cooked anything with rhubarb..pie looks yumm and tempting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think pies are perfect for breakfast. I always saved my mom's apple pie for breakfast. I do miss rhubarb, it was always one of the first things that came up in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be very happy to eat your pie for breakfast (and lunch and dinner!!).
    I am a huge rhubarb fan - love the bitterness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Pam!

    Brussels calling! Your pie sings to me!!

    It screams: EAT ME!!!!

    Many greets from sunny Brussels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie Smith, I'm so glad you agree! Thanks!

    Linda, thank you! Rhubarb is a great Midwest thing and we surely owe it to Ben Franklin!

    Lazaro Cooks, it is an underused ingredient and there really aren't a lot of recipes for it. Thanks!

    TKW, you and my hubby think alike with the pumpkin pie! That's one of his favorites.

    Jacqueline, it's just a little different with the apples and it tastes great.

    Gulmohar, rhubarb is so good and I love it as a sauce also.

    Lyndsey, that apple pie sounds great too! Pies are absolutely the best!

    Brownieville Girl, LOL! Any time works! Yes, I like the bitterness also.

    Sophie, hello to you in Brussels. It's a great, beautiful city! I'm glad you like the pie! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious and easy recipe. Can't beat rhubarb!

    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pie looks great.
    Bad mother that I am I let my kids eat fruit pies for breakfast.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dinner and Dreams, thanks! It's a great evening with it being 83 degrees today, a rarity for this time of year!

    Mimi, I say whatever you they like works for breakfast. I have a friend whose daughter loved pizza for breakfast when she was young.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could easily eat rhubarb and apple pie for breakfast. I love pie and your recipe looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Velva, thanks! Love that breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pie is a food group, right?
    Of course it's for breakfast.
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. corgidogmama, pie is! Of course! That makes it official and I'm so glad you cleared the matter up! From now on, it's pie all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. For everyone posting on Pammie's blog, please join me in wishing her and Bill Sr a Happy Anniversary on 4/15! It will be their 43rd this year...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pizza and pie... both great breakfast foods if they contain fruits and/or vegetables. My rule and I'm sticking to it....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing your mum's recipe, it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah! you make me remember that I have a lovely Rhubarb plant back in New Zealand which I hope my house sitters are using! I will have to send them your recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rhubarb and apple pie??? never tryed it before, I have to do very soon, it looks delicous!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bubba, how nice and what a great son you are! 43 years, WOW! Thanks!

    Mags, love your rule and now it's my rule too! ;) Thanks!

    3 hungry tummies, it is and you're welcome!

    Alessandra, I hope your house sitters are utilizing that rhubarb. That would make for lots of yummy dishes!

    Zia Elle, thanks! Here's wishing you a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh this looks great! It is a favorite of my Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Valen, thank you! And thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate.
- Paul Lynde
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Printfriendly


When you feel like eating boiled eggs,

if you have some truffles in the house,

put them in a basket

with the eggs

and the next day you will have the

best boiled eggs you have ever tasted in your gastronomic life.

--- M.Des Ombiaux



Popular posts from this blog

Tender and Delicious Italian-Style Baked Chicken Breasts

Succulent Slow-cooker Pork Loin in Gravy

Bubba’s Winning Homemade Summer Sausage

The Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!

Dinner Party

Dinner Party
Jules-Alexandre Grun

Since 2009