all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Iceberg Wedge with Roquefort Dressing




My parents were huge fans of Roquefort dressing so I grew up enjoying it from a very young age and it’s my absolute favorite salad dressing. 

Do you call it Roquefort cheese or blue cheese?  It can not be called Roquefort cheese dressing unless Roquefort, France is the provenance of the cheese you use; it is not to be confused with blue cheese. 

Roquefort is a blue cheese which is a general term for cheeses which have been inoculated with Penicillum mold cultures, forming dark streaks or veins of blue-green mold.  There are many varieties of blue cheese with the famous ones being Roquefort, Gorgonzola and Stilton ~ most of them having a unique pungent aroma and a tangy strong taste. 

Roquefort is known as the king of cheeses and is named after the village of Roquefort in Averyon, in the south of France.   It has quite a legend with its discovery:  A young man was eating his lunch of bread and ewe’s milk when he noticed a beautiful girl in the distance.  Leaving his meal in a nearby cave, he ran off to meet her.  Upon returning a few months later, mold had changed his plain cheese into the veined cheese. 

In bygone days, the cheese was left to develop its flavor in the mold-filled soil in the caves for 6 to 8 weeks until it had absorbed the mold.  Nowadays, for greater consistency, the mold is produced in labs.  And we owe this fabulous cheese to the boy who was enraptured with the beautiful girl in Averyon!

Now for the tangy sharp dressing:




Iceberg Wedge with Roquefort Dressing

Ingredients:

¼ cup lemon juice
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ pound Roquefort cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons buttermilk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1-3 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Method:

In medium mixing bowl, stir together lemon juice and olive oil.
Use a wooden spoon to mix in the cheese until it is of a lumpy, thick texture.
Blend in buttermilk, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper quickly so as to leave it lumpy.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve on a wedge of iceberg lettuce.
Top with more freshly ground pepper, if desired; I do!

Enjoy!!!



20 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

This looks and sounds amaaaaaaazing. I have the real cheese on my door step so it will definitely be on the menu in the very near future. Diane

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Two of my favorites Roquefort and Iceberg. Too many people these days go for the posh greens, Iceberg is wonderful.

Sandi said...

Love this.....it looks really good!!

Dedene said...

We don't get Iceberg lettuce here but we have many others that are wonderful.
Roquefort is a must! No other blue cheese can replace it. I'm going to try your recipe.

Biren said...

Sounds amazing and delcious! It will also make a lovely presentation with the wedge and the dressing over :)

Pam said...

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, I'm sooooo glad you like it! I'm sure you have it right on your doorstep and I am soooo jealous!!! Hope you like it, Diane and have a terrific the rest of the day!

Lazaro Cooks, you are indeed right! The lowly iceberg is still tasty, especially with a good dressing! And, it's very simple.

Sandi, I'm happy it looks good to you! Thanks for stopping by!

Dedene, yes there are other great lettuces also. Roquefort is the best ~ love its sharp flavor and aroma! Thank you!

Biren, thanks! It does make a nice simple presentation; very clean looking!

Kathleen said...

I love wedge salads. Your dressing sounds really awesome!

Susan said...

Love Roquefort dressing. That is the exact story they told us when we were in France. Nice dressing recipe.

Pam said...

Thanks, Kathleen! Hope you have a great evening!

Susan, I love it also! I'm glad the info is correct also! Thanks for stopping by!

Martha said...

I never knew all that! Finally the mystery is solved. Thanks for the info. I can still remember a place we went when I was in my twenties that served this exact salad. I loved it (obviously since I still remember it)!

Have a great week! :-)

3 hungry tummies said...

Great way of using lettuce for such a strong cheese, i love it!

Karen Deborah said...

Are you having trouble posting? I have 12 posts in a row from you, tests, t's, and posts. Just thought you would like to know they are all going up.

Pete said...

I like the crunchy iceberg lettuce....mmmmm nice with Roquefort dressing!

Whosyergurl said...

Pam, It might have been a whole lot better if you told us the cheese story, but left out the word "mold." Of course, without the word mold, there might not have been much of a story. I'm just sayin. :-)
I do well to eat cheese that I have cut the mold off of...but when it is all swirled around in it... "ew."
Yes, I'm a wuss.
Hugs, Cheryl

Emily said...

Yum! This sounds so good! I don't think I've ever had Roquefort before, but I'm pretty sure I'd like it.

Bo said...

I love any iceberg lettuce salad...until I was grown iceberg lettuce was the only lettuce I knew.

Italians Do Eat Better said...

Ciao Pam, che bel piatto, poi il Roquefort è molto buono! Ti auguro una buona settimana! Un bacio

Joanne said...

Hah! I loved that myth about the origins of Roquefort cheese. My parents always had a lot of blue cheese dressing in the house, but never Roquefort. I personally adore this cheese so I know I would love this iceberg wedge recipe!

My Little Space said...

The dressing sounds delicious! Love all the ingredients in it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it as well. Btw, that Roquefort cheese looks quite alike blue cheese.
Have a nice day!
Cheers, Kristy

Pam said...

Martha, glad the mystery is solved! Love this salad! You have a great week also!

3 hungry tummies, you're right! The dressing has all the flavor!

Karen Deborah, thanks! I didn't know that and yes I was having trouble posting. That was a first and hope it is the last. Thanks for letting me know!

Pete, thanks! It is delicious! Have a good day!

Whosyergurl, sorry the mold was not so appetizing for you but, I have to tell you it a delicious thing! ;) Keep on scraping that mold off and have a good week!

Emily, it's good, try it! Thanks for stopping by!

Bo, I know what you mean. Now there are so many kinds of lettuce for whatever salad. Love it!

Italians Do Eat Better, yes! Roquefort is good! Hope you have a good week also!

Joanne, the myths with food are great! Hope you try this. Yum!

My Little Space, thanks! It's a great dressing and yes that cheese does look like blue. Have a good day!