Creamy Asparagus Soup


This is another great recipe that belonged to Alice, my mother-in-law and now is the perfect time of year to cook it with all the fresh asparagus that is available in the markets now.  And since it is on sale now, that makes it even more appealing.

Nutrition studies have proved that asparagus is a great low-calorie source of potassium and folate, which helps to get rid of anemia.   Its stalks are high in antioxidants and are a good source of vitamin C.   There are many more health benefits of asparagus; check this out to read some amazing facts.

I love home-made soups and asparagus soup is right up there near the top of the list.  We really look forward to this silky green soup in the spring time with its earthy flavor.  If you enjoy asparagus, this soup you will enjoy also.  It’s delicious and makes a terrific lunch or a casual supper.  It’s a very fresh and healthy soup and is not like the Campbell’s your mother served!

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Ingredients:

1½  pounds fresh asparagus
2 tablespoons chopped onion, optional
1½ teaspoons salt
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
2 teaspoons chicken stock base
¼ teaspoon pepper
3½ cups milk, scalded

Method:

Wash asparagus will and trim.
Cut off tips and set aside. 
Cut remaining stalks into 1/2” pieces.
Put in saucepan with ½ cup water, salt and onion, if using.
Heat to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer.
When cooked, drain and cool slightly.
Puree cooked asparagus in blender or food processor.
Simmer reserved tips in salt water until tender, approximately 8 minutes.
Melt butter in large saucepan.
Blend in flour, stock base and pepper.
Gradually add milk and cook, stirring until thickened and smooth.
Stir in pureed asparagus and tips, heat thoroughly.
Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Serve

It is springy delicious!



Comments

  1. I was weeding my asparagus yesterday thinking of all the good things I could make with it. I'll add this to the list.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The local asparagus is just coming on. We bought our first several kilos this weekend. What a joy! I'll definitely be trying this soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love asparagus but never made soup with; sounds lovely!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds yummy! Its like a celebration of spring in a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asparagus soup, I like it!
    I have to try your recipe Pam, Yam!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, isn't asparagus the best? Love it when spring arrives with fresh veggies!

    Dedene, I'll be working on those kilos. Now, how many cups is that? ;) Hope you like the soup!


    Sage, I just started cooking the soup several years ago and love it. Another great thing for asparagus!

    Kathleen, you have a great way with words! It is like a celebration of spring in a bowl!!!

    Zia Elle, great! Let me know how you like it if you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asparagus soup - one of my favourites from years gone by and I just happened to buy a bunch yesterday - I was wondering what to do with it - thanks for the tip !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, what a great timing...there are lots of nice fresh asparagus in the market...the soup sounds delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just move out here and open a tea room alright?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds perfect after so many days of those heavy meals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jean, I'm glad you found this and hope you will try it! Thanks for the visit and I hope you have a good evening!

    Karen Deborah, I always wanted to do that! I love the South and nothing would make me happier. Thanks for the nice remark!


    My Little Space, you're so right! Light is probably better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After I tried asparagus I love it. This soup sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just beginning to love asparagus, so I've never tried asparagus soup. Sounds easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you believe I have never made asparagus soup! I don't know why! Your soup sounds yummy and thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect spring lunch. Need to be on the lookout at the grocery for asparagus. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love asparagus soup, usually I don't put onion in it because I always use vegetable stock (which had already onion in it among other vegetables).

    Do you thing that the onion is not too strong here? I hear that in the US usually you have white onions which are quite mild and not too strong.

    Is it true? Did you use a white onion?

    Thank you

    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Asparagus is expensive here (Ireland) but I have a cunning plan!!!!

    I am going to keep all the woody ends next time we have asparagus and then add them to a fresh bunch - and keep my fingers crossed that the soup turns out well!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Folate is also really important for anyone who's pregnant! Just thought I'd contribute some more to the asparagus superfood status.

    This soup looks delicious. I've been loving the asparagus lately as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Talita, thanks! Hope you try it!

    Barbara Bakes, it is very easy and really good. The soup is a great way to enjoy asparagus!

    tasteofbeirut, you should try this since you like asparagus. It's so creamy and smooth with a delicious taste!

    Buttercup, it makes a perfect lunch and we really enjoy it. Thanks!

    Alessandra, My MIL did add the onion; I do not for the reason you said. I neglected to put the word optional with it in her recipe. It's there now. Thanks for pointing that out and I'm sorry for the confusion! I hope you give it a try as it is really delicious!

    Browniegirlville, sorry to hear asparagus is expensive there. This time of year the price is right here. My MIL did pare down the woody ends a bit and used them, it worked fine as a vegetable dish and in the soup also. I do the same at times, depending upon how the asparagus is.

    Joanne, thanks for the added info! I was not aware of that and it is beneficial advice for pregnant women. Asparagus is a great dish most any way it is served!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

_________________________

"We plan, we toil, we suffer – in the hope of what? A camel-load of idol’s eyes? The title deeds of Radio City? The empire of Asia? A trip to the moon? No, no, no, no. Simply to wake just in time to smell coffee and bacon and eggs."
~ J.B. Priestly
_________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Popular Posts