all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Creamed Mushrooms on Toast




I love just plain raw mushrooms.  So do a lot of other people.   But, creaming them and serving on toast makes an unforgettable meal!

The ancient Egyptians believed that mushrooms were the food of immortality.  The pharaohs were intrigued with the subtle taste of mushrooms and deemed them fit only for royalty; commoners were out of luck and not allowed to taste them.  This also assured royalty of having the entire supply of mushrooms.

The ancient wealthy Greeks and Romans consumed many mushrooms with the Roman Caesars employing a food taster to sample all mushrooms before being served to the aristocrats.  In Russia, Greece, China, Mexico and many other cultures, people believed that mushrooms provided them with super-human strength, helped in finding lost objects (I will be eating more mushrooms!) and that mushrooms would lead the soul to the kingdom of the gods.

Bill and I both think this is a great dish that’s hard to beat as far as mushrooms go!   Creamed mushrooms on toast tastes great for breakfast, for brunch or like we have it ~ as a meatless supper with just a salad.  It is also perfect when folded into crepes or as a filling for omelets; whatever appeals to you!  It is delicious!




Creamed Mushrooms on Toast

Ingredients:

1 pound firm white mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon dry yellow mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
¾ cup half and half 
½ tablespoon soy sauce
Toast of your choice

Method:

Clean mushrooms with damp paper towel, cut into slices.
Melt butter in large skillet over low heat.
Add flour, blend well.
Raise heat, add mushrooms and garlic.
Stir until the mushrooms render their juices, about 5 minutes.
Lower the heat and season mushrooms with salt, pepper and dry mustard and cook for another 5 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a bowl.
Add the cream and soy sauce to the juices in the skillet and bring to a boil.
Cook until reduced by almost half.
Return mushrooms to the skillet and simmer for another minute or two until they are heated through.
Serve on your favorite toast.
Serves 2


This is a great way to eat toast!


Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful dish Pam. We love mushrooms, and let's face it, anything would taste great "creamed" IMO! Haha! I hadn't thought of it for breakfast though, but why not we have mushroom omelettes! Great recipe, one that I am sure to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! I love mushrooms and have been craving them so I think I will give this recipe a try. Thanks Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I'm a big mushroom fan, would definitely love this recipe. Thanks Pam! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, I love to read your blog! So many fun facts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, I LOVE MUSHROOMS! Never had them on toast before, sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE mushrooms, but the rest of my family doesn't. They might pass out if I made this recipe. Maybe I should try it then!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love mushrooms on toast. It's a British classic. Your recipe takes it up a notch. I saw on your profile that you say that "You're not a chef or gourmet"

    Who cares? I think you make some amazing stuff. Keep up the great work!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyndsey, You're right on spot, it's that creamed thing that works! Just wish it was low calorie! Thank you!

    symphonious treats, thanks! It is delicious and I hope you try it!

    Martha, there's just something so great about the taste of mushrooms, love them!

    Linda, thank you! I'm so happy you are here reading it all!

    Dishesdone, since you love mushrooms, you have to try this. It's amazingly delicious!

    Farmchick, try this and maybe it will change their minds, don't want them to pass out though! ;) Thanks for the visit!

    Kathleen, it is!

    Lazaro Cooks, thanks for the info as I was not aware of it being a British classic. One more reason to love the Brits! Thanks for your kind remarks, I just love to cook and bake! Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved all of this mushroom trivia! Who knew they had such an involved history.

    I've never had creamed mushrooms before but they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So enjoy the research that you do, and your recipes are marvelous.
    Thank heavens we've all found your site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. Perfect for mushroom lovers.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joanne, yes! It is a little surprising! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. cogidogmama, thanks! I love all the little tidbits about food! I'm so glad every time you stop by and really love your posts also!

    Mimi, you said it! It tastes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much! That is what a was looking for; made it years ago and couldn't find the recipe. Just printed it out. Making this Wednesday night.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is my kind of dish!! can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Creamed mushroom on toast sounds like my kind of food! yummm....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sage, great! Let me know how it is!

    SnoWhite, hope you do and like it!

    My Little Space, it is yummy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam