all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, April 23, 2010

Crab Cakes for Friday



We just wish Maryland blue crabs were available here but, since they aren’t we settled for these crab cakes for dinner last night.  Obviously fresh crab meat would be the best but, canned crab meat is easy to find here, as I am sure it probably is everywhere and it works fine for these crab cakes. 

These crab cakes are made of simple ingredients:  onion, garlic, paprika, Dijon mustard and an egg and bread crumbs to hold them together.  Just add enough bread crumbs to bring them together.  Shape them into patties very gently, sauté them in a little oil for 5 or 6 minutes on each side until golden and you have a delicious meal ready to eat. 

You can use any kind of bread crumbs you wish; regular bread crumbs are part of the original recipe.  However, I usually use Panko bread crumbs.  Panko is used in Japanese cuisine as a crunchy breading for fried foods, as a filler or as a crunchy topping for casseroles.  Japanese bread is made from flour that has a higher gluten content than flour used for bread-baking in America. The resulting texture is chewier and fluffier and the Panko bread crumbs absorb less oil when cooking.  I love them but, have a difficult time finding them in the stores in this area so I purchase them from this company.  What a difference they make!

The crab cakes take very little time to mix together, just 30 seconds and use a light hand when bringing it all together!  These are great crab cakes with lots of flavor and spice!

Crab Cakes

Ingredients:

2 cups lump crab meat (16 ounce can)
¼ cup Panko or other bread crumbs
1 egg
¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
½ small onion, diced
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
Cayenne pepper, optional
¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup canola oil
Tartar sauce

Method:

Slightly beat egg in a small bowl and stir in mayonnaise.
Add onion, Parmesan cheese, Old Bay seasoning, garlic, paprika, cayenne, mustard, salt and pepper, if desired. 
Add crab meat and bread crumbs.  Mix quickly.
Shape into 5 or 6 crab cakes.
Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
Add crab cakes and cook until golden, 5-6 minutes per side.
Drain on paper towel lined plate.
Serve with tartar sauce.

Pam’s note:  I usually place the crab cakes on a plate and set it in the refrigerator for an hour or so before frying.  This allows the mixture to bind. 

Yum!

Happy Friday!



Pin It

25 comments:

Pam said...

Darn, I love crabbies...so good and your's look wonderful..pass the fork please...he he!

xoxo

Pam said...

Pam, I've got plenty of forks and one is on its way to you! ;) Thanks!

Bo said...

Yum...I love crab cakes...I bet the panko makes them super crunchy and good.

Pam said...

Bo, me too, love them! The panko works great! Have a great day!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I was just craving a crab cake yesterday. I'll have to eat one of yours through cyberspace! They look so delicious.

Biren said...

Love crab cakes and yours look delicious. Wow...visiting food blogs at this hour is really making me hungry.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

oooh - it's a long time since we last ate crab cakes.. Yum yum yum !

Sook said...

Oh I love crab cakes! I haven't made it at home so I will definitely have to bookmark this page. Thanks, Pam.

legendswife said...

Hi Pam,
Somehow I stumbled upon your blog and I gotta say were two peas in a pod:) I love your blog. I'm a followin'.

God Bless

katiez said...

I haven't made crab cakes in ages - thanks for the reminder. They look great and I can get good canned crabmeat.... (not the Panko, tho)
That old 'fish on Friday' thing is hard to kick, isn't it? LOL

Elina said...

I love fresh crab cakes. Yours look delicious! :)

Jacqueline said...

Thanks so much for all the great recipes!...I love blackened crab cakes!...Happy Friday, Pam.

Pam said...

Cinnamon-Girl, Love that cyberspace and hope you liked the crab cakes.

Biren, I know! I was drooling all over the place this morning!

Sarah-Jane, love them!

Sook, they are so easy and quick to make, good too!

lengendswife, hi and thanks for dropping by!

katiez, thanks! Just wish we could get crab here fresh more often. Good excuse to take a trip though!

Elina, thank you! They are!

Jacqueline, yum, that sounds good! I've never had them blackened. Have a good evening!

Lyndsey said...

My daughter has been wanting to make crab cakes, just haven't found a recipe we want to try, until now. Thanks!

3 hungry tummies said...

you guys over there are so lucky with the abundance of crabs..Looks really delicious!

Pam said...

Lyndsey, go for it and try it! Yum! Have a great weekend! Thanks!

3 hungry tummies, thank you and you have a great weekend also! Cheers!

Zia Elle said...

Never tried before but it looks very good.
Ok Pam, let's try....

Pam said...

Zia Elle, thanks! Go ahead and try it! It's good!

lostpastremembered said...

I love crab cakes.. why does crab have to be so pricey? Great recipe, Pam... I think panko is a brilliant idea.

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

These look great! I've never used panko in crab cakes, but that sounds wonderful!

Velva said...

Cheers to Friday and your crab cakes. Over the last couple of years, I have moved away from traditional bread crumbs to Panko-it's light, extra crispy. No doubt that the panko gives the crab cakes a lift.

Great post. Thanks.

Pam said...

lostpastremembered, I've often wondered the same also as it is very pricey here. Great with the panko! Thanks!

Sinful Southern Sweets, Panko has a great texture much different from bread crumbs and I use it quite a bit. Thanks for the visit!

Velva, thank you! Yes, I use Panko for those reasons exactly. Cheers to Friday and especially to you also!

My Little Space said...

Canned crab meat!!! This is the first time I heard of it. Isn't the frozen crab meat much better than canned crab meat?

My Little Space said...

However, your crab cakes look as scrumptious though!

Pam said...

My Little Space, it never entered my mind with the frozen. Of course it would be better. Now I will be looking for them. That's what I love about this---always learning different things! Thanks so much!!!