all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chicken with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Garlic and Vermicelli







This dish incorporates foods I love ~ chicken, pasta, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and especially garlic.  The aroma of the sautéing garlic is enticing!

What would we do without garlic?  To me, garlic is addicting!  When I eat a little, I want some more!  Thankfully, for the people around me, I don’t eat it raw (yet.)  Garlic has quite a reputation.  It has supposedly aided everything from curing countless illnesses to warding off vampires and evil spirits.  Believing garlic would increase their physical strength when building the pyramids, the Egyptians fed it to the slaves.  In these times, Americans consume 300 million pounds of garlic a year!  I certainly eat my share, do you?

I cook with garlic on a regular basis and probably like you; have read many times about the health benefits of garlic.  It promotes the well-being of the heart and immune systems with antioxidant properties and helps maintain healthy blood circulation.  Garlic is also great for your pets; cats, dogs and particularly horses should you have one.  It is even effective as a natural insect repellant.  And….if you are worried about vampires stalking you, relax in a “garlic delight” bubble bath!

Now, to combine garlic with chicken:  this recipe I came up with is one of our favorites.  The succulent chicken, pasta and garlic combination hits the spot; being a flavorful, quick dish that you will love when you try it!



Chicken with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Garlic and Vermicelli

Ingredients:

3 cups vermicelli
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 chicken breasts cut into ½” thick strips
3 shallots, thinly sliced
6 garlic cloves, sliced or chopped
1 ½ cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth, more if needed
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried basil
¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup black olives, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated

Method:

Cook the vermicelli in boiling water according to directions and drain well.
Sauté chicken strips in olive oil until done.  Set aside on plate.
Add shallots, mushrooms to skillet and cook until soft.
Add garlic and sauté.
Blend chicken broth, herbs, salt and pepper, tomatoes and black olives in skillet with mushroom mixture.
Simmer until broth has reduced and thickened slightly.
Combine chicken and cooked pasta in skillet with tomato mixture.  Simmer on low heat until heated through.
Serve on a platter or in a bowl and top with Parmesan cheese.

ENJOY!!!



26 comments:

Debbi Smith said...

I love this! It looks super tasty!

Lyndsey said...

Pam you always give us so much information! I thought dogs were not supposed have garlic. Anyway funny thing a co-worker and I were just talking about garlic this morning. I told her about my garlic overdose in my swiss chard, that ended up tasting fine, and another time I was helping my BIL with a brunch he was catering and I was cutting a BBQ sauce recipe in half and messed up on the garlic and added too much, and everyone raved about the sauce. So we decided you just can't go wrong when adding garlic! lol!

Your vermicelli dish looks fabulous!! Can I have some for lunch?

3 hungry tummies said...

I love all pasta/noodle dishes, this looks good too!

Sandi said...

this looks great!!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Pam you have done it again! What a great post!

Pam said...

Debbie Smith, thanks! Hope you try it!

Pam said...

Lyndsey, pretty funny with the swiss chard. I bet it was delicious with all the garlic. I read on a post at Corgi Dog News the following: Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light taste of garlic and at the end of the recipe if your want a stronger taste of garlic. I think that makes great sense! So maybe you added all the garlic in the beginning. ;) I think there's no such thing as too much garlic myself!

Check this out about dogs eating garlic: http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/garlic-for-dogs.html

Hope it helps and have a good garlicky day!

Pam said...

3 hungry tummies, I too love pasta as it's so versatile, delicious and easy to use.


Sandi, glad you like it! Thank you for stopping by!

Linda, thanks! I hope you have a great day! Cheers!

Mary at Deep South Dish said...

Sounds wonderful!! Great combination here and count me in as a garlic lover for sure!

Lazaro Cooks! said...

I agree with you...all of those ingredients work. Wonderful dish. Cheers!

Mimi said...

Great recipe. My husband always laughs aboout the time I told him I couldn't cook dinner because we had run out of garlic.
Mimi

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Yummy, I could not cook without garlic, it is the best thing ever! Diane

Pam said...

Mary at Deep South Dish, I am glad to add you to the list and thanks for the visit!

Lazaro Cooks, great and Cheers to you!

Mimi, LOL I will have to remember that for a future dinner! Don't think I'd know how to cook without it.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, me too! I say a little garlic breath never hurt anyone! :-)

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I feel sorry for those who don't use garlic in dishes...it just enhances everything.
Oh man...this pasta dish looks absolutely divine. Pure comfort!

Jacqueline said...

This recipe sounds wonderful; I will have to try it, thanks for sharing!...Have a happy day!

Pam said...

cogidogmama, it is comfort food at for sure! Pasta just always gives me a warm cozy feeling! My hubby did not like garlic years ago but has since changed his mind. Probably because I put in anything I can and he's hungry!

Jacqueline, try it, it's good! Happy day to you also!

Alessandra said...

Hi Pam, thank you for answering to my other query, I put my message here so you see it.

I ended up buying asparagus today, and I sniffed a few white onions to find a sweet one!!

Then my husband said that he wanted pasta, so I made a pasta sauce with asparagus, white onion and tomato passata (I may post it in the next few days), it was very good, and I hope I can try the soup soon. But I shall not ask my husband what he wants: he loves soup when it is in front of him, but he never asks for it, he only asks for pasta! :-D

Whosyergurl said...

Pam, love, love, love me some sun dried tomatoes!
This dish is right up my alley!
Hoosier hugs,
Cheryl

Pam said...

Hi Alessandra, that's great! I'm sure a sweet onion would do fine with the soup as it would not have a strong onion flavor and I will give that a try the next time I make it. I know what you mean about men and soup, they'd take pasta or potatoes and meat over soup any day, I'm sure; my husband especially!

I really hope you post the asparagus dish you mentioned. I've never heard of tomato passata and I am curious as to what it is. Have a great rest of the day!




Whosyergurl, love those sun dried tomatoes also. I can't wait until the local tomatoes are ready here ~ it's a long wait though and the sun dried work great in this dish.
Illinoisian hugs back at ya!

Farmchick said...

I swear you have the best recipes on here! I love sun dried tomatoes!

Bubba said...

There is no such thing as too much garlic.
Speaking of garlic, when are you making spaghetti & meatballs again? (Not that I care about the pasta but I love your garlic bread)

Esi said...

Garlic, chicken, olives...yes, please!

Zia Elle said...

Pam, I'm in love with sun-dryed tomatos......and then garlic and olives.....yammy!!!

Pam said...

Farmchick, thanks so much! I'm so glad you stopped by!


Bubba, Hi! It is a nice surprise to see you here and I know the garlic is what brought you! What about my meatballs; you love them too, right? I will have to make a loaf of garlic bread for you soon and hopefully it will reek of garlic just the way you like it! Love ya!


Esi, right on! Thanks for stopping by!


Zia Elle, I'm not surprised you're in love with the tomatoes, garlic and olives. Good things and I bet you cook with them a lot!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I love the sound of this pasta! I'm a big believer in garlic! And I bet the sun-dried tomatoes give it lots of flavor.

Pam said...

Cinnamon-Girl, thanks! I say you can never have too much garlic; I love the aroma as it cooks. Yum!