all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cheesy Cottage Potatoes



Do you know why the potato crossed the road?  I’ll tell you later!

I love potatoes!  Boiled, baked, roasted, fried, and raw also; it doesn’t matter.  Recently, I even came across a recipe for potato FUDGE!  Now, we all can get even more deliciousness and calories from a potato.  I just might have to try that recipe!

Even though I grew up on a farm, I never did dig potatoes that I can remember.  That’s not so with Bill when he helped his grandfather with the chore.  He says it was hard work as you had to dig them out with a fork, being careful not to pierce the potatoes.  Then, it was a case of putting the potatoes in the bushel basket, picking it up and moving it to the next potato plant.  And as he worked his way down the row to the end that bushel basket was almost more than a young boy could carry.  I think that’s one reason he is so muscular today ~ it’s all that gardening work when he was a lad! 

I always thought that potatoes came from the land of Erin, not so!  The first potatoes; the “Irish” white, were cultivated in the mountainous regions of Peru.  They worshipped potato gods and performed rituals and sacrifices to ensure the success of the crop.  Was this was the beginning of the couch potato and Mr. Potato Head?

Cheesy Cottage potatoes are creamy delicious and a perfect side dish for about any meat.  And it’s easy too!  Here’s the recipe:




Cheesy Cottage Potatoes

Ingredients:

5 large potatoes, cooked and sliced thin
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 medium onion, chopped
½ cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1-2/3 cups milk
1/3 cup butter
Smoked paprika

Method:

Mix potatoes, cheese, onion, bread crumbs, onion, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Pour into greased 2 or 2 ½ quart casserole dish.
In a small saucepan, heat together milk and butter until butter is melted.
Pour over mixture in casserole.
Sprinkle with smoked paprika.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes until bubbly and browned.
Serve

ENJOY!


By the way, the potato crossed the road because he saw a fork up ahead!



20 comments:

Pete said...

I think this would be a good side dish for the roast ribs that I am going to make....nice!

Holly said...

Oh do these sound perfectly delicious!!

Zia Elle said...

Another deliciosly potato recipe, great Pam!!

Brownieville Girl said...

They look fantastic Pam.

Debbi Smith said...

I love cheesy potatoes. Actually, I love anything potatoes.

Jacqueline said...

Sounds so good and easy; I love your blog!...Have a good day.

Karen said...

At first I thought this was going to be that awful concoction that people making using frozen hash brown - yuk, I hate that thing! LOL This sounds really good... I love potatoes, too :)

Pam said...

Pete, I want your roast ribs! 'Nuff said!

Holly, they are! Thank you!

Zia Elle, thanks! Have a good one!

Brownieville Girl, they are! Thanks for stopping by!

Debbie Smith, I'm with you all the way. Love potatoes!

Jacqueline, it is easy. And thanks about the blog! Take care...

Karen, no hash browns here but, I do love them fried. Thanks!

Mimi said...

Yum, potatoes and cheese who need meat.
Mimi

Buttercup said...

Between Mr. Potato Head and your joke you gave me a big smile. Love the recipe. I had a good time touring the potato museum in Prince Edward Island. Bought a number of potato brushes and fun potato things. I am a big potato fan, cooked just about any way.

Ami said...

Yummy! Looks delicious!:)

Joanne said...

I have to say, I have never dug for potatoes either (maybe that's why my muscles are non-existent) but I sure am glad that someone out there does. They are so delicious. I love this cheesy bake you have here...ultimate comfort food.

Pam said...

Mimi, you've got it! I'm with you all the way!

Buttercup: Lucky you! I want to go to the potato museum! Sounds like a fun thing. I'm glad you smiled too!

Ami, thanks! It's a good thing!

Joanne, now we know how to build up our muscles! ;) Potatoes are definitely ultimate comfort food, my favorite!

Sue said...

A brilliant idea to use cottage cheese with potatoes - I am going to try this at the weekend! Thanks Pam. I am not too sure about Potato Fudge though lol!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I am potato lover too! This casserole looks so delicious! The ultimate comfort food.

Sweet and Savory said...

I am a potato fan and a cheese fan and more so, I am a combo of the two fan. I have to make this.

Sandi said...

Pam, This potato dish looks wonderful....I love potatoes so much....LOL!!

Pam said...

Sue, I agree with the potato fudge!

Cinnamon-Girl, thanks and have a good day!

Sweet and Savory, you can never have too many potatoes with cheese! ;)

Sandi, I'm with you all the way!

My Little Space said...

I love potatoes too! But still trying to take less. Potato is high in carbohydrates. So, better beware! Thanks so much for sharing such beautiful recipe.
Have a great day!
Cheers,
Kristy

Pam said...

My Little Space, you are so right! I would love to have them every day if it weren't for the carbs and then there's all the cheese, etc. Thanks for stopping by as it's always good to see you!