all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, April 26, 2010

Blackberry Cobbler


Ripe and unripe blackberries
Patrick Johns/Corbis


Growing up on the farm in Ohio, blackberries were in abundance during late summertime.  The area by the creek through the farm was filled with wild blackberry brambles and we spent many hours picking, eating and laughing while getting stabbed with all the thorns.  Then with our stained hands and clothing, we carried the pails back to the house in anticipation of what delicacy Mom would be baking after first eating a bowl of them with just a sprinkling of sugar. 

Mom made many blackberry pies, cobbler and plenty of jam.  I didn’t realize how lucky I was at the time!  Then she froze a plethora of blackberries and we were treated with them all winter long.  I really miss that!

Now, it is nearly impossible to find fresh blackberries here and when I do, they are very pricy.  So I resort to frozen blackberries and they are wonderful even if they aren’t fresh.

Just the thought of blackberry cobbler starts me drooling.  This cobbler is filled with berry juicy flavor and especially delicious with fresh blackberries.  All it needs are plump ripe blackberries with a beautiful deep color and there you have a rustic blackberry cobbler dessert ~ the perfect ending to a meal!  




Blackberry Cobbler

Ingredients:

6 to 8 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
1½ cups sugar
½ cup flour
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons butter
Biscuit topping (see recipe below)
Vanilla ice cream

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
If using fresh berries: wash, stem and drain
In large bowl, combine sugar, flour, blackberries and lemon juice.
Spread in a 13” x 9” baking dish, dot with butter.

Bake, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
When mixture is hot, remove from oven and spoon Biscuit Topping mixture onto the top in approximately 10 to 12 spoonfuls. 
Return to oven and bake another 20 minutes until biscuits are golden brown.
Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.



Biscuit topping:

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, chilled, cut into ¼” slices
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten

Method:

In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
With pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is size of small peas.
Add milk and egg.
Stir with fork until blended.

Love those blackberries!
Enjoy!



Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Hi Pam,
    Your blackberry cobbler looks great! It is great that you used to get fresh wild blackberry! Too bad you can find them anymore. but I guess the frozen ones are quite good. I always have frozen raspberry in my freezer. I will try frozen blackberry next time! Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fantastic! My kids love blackberries. I'm drooling now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, I went around to picking blackberries with my sister!! Wonderfull time!
    And blackberry jam is definitly my favourite!!
    Nice your biscuits and very nice the new "dress" of your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm! yummmy:) Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mausi, fresh is always better but the frozen are pretty great also! Hope you try them soon! Yum! Thanks for stopping by!

    Debbi Smith, this makes me drool all the time! Hope you try if for the boys! Thanks!

    Zia Elle, lucky you for picking them! Wish I could! Blackberry jam is absolutely my favorite too. Thanks for new blog "dress!" Have a great day!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, so sorry to hear blackberries aren't kind to you! The topping would work fine on rhubarb or any other fruit in a cobbler. Thanks for the visit!

    Sandi, thank you!

    Holly, thanks to you also! It is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, what a great way to enjoy the blackberries, love the idea of topping it up with biscuit batter...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juliana, it is! They were fun to pick and then baking a cobbler! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a blackberry patch at my house, but luck for me one of my friends does. This recipe will come in handy in a few weeks.
    mimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cobbler is one of my favorite summertime desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made a cobbler (for shame!!)...and blackberries are one of my favorite berries. Although I don't think I've ever come across a berry I didn't like. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I think I'm gonna make me a cobbler :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just recently discovered that my daughter's boyfriend is a huge fan of cobblers. Can't wait to try this one for him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mimi, lucky you! I would love to find a blackberry patch around here. Have a good day!

    Esme, mine also! Love all the fruits when in season.

    Danielle, cobblers are great with all the fresh fruit. Hope you try it and thanks for stopping by!

    Mags, hope the boyfriend likes it. There's nothing like cobbler! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so good. Wouldnt it be nice if you could eat dessert for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lori, I'm all for that! That would be my kind of meal! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thats an awesome cobbler...Pam!!!never tried it w/blackberrries before! thnx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meena, thank you! You'll have to try it with blackberries! It's a perfect dessert, or breakfast! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delicious dessert! I hardly ever cook with blackberries but your description has me craving this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cinnamon-Girl, you must get some blackberries soon!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam