Warm Spinach Salad


I love warm salads such as wilted lettuce salads and this recipe is along that line, only this one contains nutritious spinach. 

In the summertime, Dad would pick the lettuce and Mom made her wilted salad most nights.  I loved the taste of it; the hot bacon drippings with vinegar and a little sugar tossed with the lettuce and onions.  That was the best of salads back then.

Now, I have moved on and love it with spinach also.  This salad is filled with good things:  lots of bacon, red onion and pecans with a tangy dressing.  Especially, in the winter time when spinach is plentiful, this is an excellent way to incorporate fresh winter greens into your dinner menu. 

With heating the spinach somewhat, it serves a dual purpose:  it makes the salad more suitable for a cold day when raw lettuce might not be appealing and it diminishes the effects of oxalic acid. Spinach is rich in oxalic acid ~ that is what gives spinach the tang but, it interferes with the body’s ability to absorb calcium and iron.  The acid is much higher in raw spinach. 

This is a rich, colorful and flavorful salad and if you are a bacon lover like I am, that’s all the better!  I hope you give this a try!


Warm Spinach Salad

Ingredients:

½ cup pecan halves
6 slices bacon, cut into 1” pieces
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 pint (2 cups) grape tomatoes
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
2 to 3 bunches (1½ pounds total) flat-leaf spinach, trimmed, cleaned and dried
Coarse salt and pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spread pecans on a baking sheet and toast in oven until golden and fragrant, 10 to 15 minutes.  Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of fat from skillet.
Add onion to skillet. Cook until crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add tomatoes, vinegar and sugar.
Simmer until liquid thickens slightly and tomatoes are heated through, 1-2 minutes.
Place spinach in a bowl and pour hot tomato-onion mixture over it.
Toss quickly to coat and wilt spinach.
Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with reserved pecans and bacon.
Serves 4

Yum!!!  So delicious!!!



Comments

  1. This is one of my favorite salads! I've only had it in restaurants. I really should try making it! Thanks for the great info and recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Who doesn't love this salad?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. theUngourmet: until recently I had only had it in restaurants. It's easy though and good.




    Kathleen, I agree 100%! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound so delicious, Pam! I love this type of spinach salad-where one uses a warm dressing/mixture to just slightly wilt the spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really good and I enjoyed reading your profile...I too enjoy reading cookbooks (one with pictures)!! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, each and every post with your little background stories could be and should be, pages in a cookbook.
    The stories add so much~
    Your blog is so dang cool~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great looking salad. While I love spinach and your photo would convert a die-hard spinach hater. Have a great day...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good spinach salad - yours sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very yummy. Always looking for spinach recipes and this one sounds great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Yum! The corn sticks below would be great with this salad. Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam, i like your salade!!! Yam!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a healthy and delicious salad I'll bookmark for my sunday lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much to all of you for your kind comments! You are a great group I am proud to have contact with!

    Stella, me too! Love the wilted part!

    Joni, I'm so glad you enjoyed it all. Very nice of you!

    Corgidogmama, you are one of the best! Thank you! YOU are just too cool! I always like and appreciate seeing you here!!!

    Mary, yes! I hope it does convert some. Thanks so much!

    Pam, thanks! Great names think alike!

    Buttercup, thanks! I'm glad you found this one!

    Twyla, you are so correct and you're very astute! Thanks!

    Zia Elle, thanks for being so nice!

    3 hungry tummies, it is healthy with lots of good nutrients. You are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, this sounds good. Can't wait to get my garden going to plant some spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen, wish I had a garden. We used to but, have so many trees now that I'd have to get an ax and start chopping in order to get more sunshine. Lucky you and happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Ami! Glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate.
- Paul Lynde
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Printfriendly


When you feel like eating boiled eggs,

if you have some truffles in the house,

put them in a basket

with the eggs

and the next day you will have the

best boiled eggs you have ever tasted in your gastronomic life.

--- M.Des Ombiaux



Popular posts from this blog

Tender and Delicious Italian-Style Baked Chicken Breasts

Succulent Slow-cooker Pork Loin in Gravy

Bubba’s Winning Homemade Summer Sausage

The Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!

Dinner Party

Dinner Party
Jules-Alexandre Grun

Since 2009