all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Morning Quick Coffee Cake


 Sunday Morning
 Antonio Feralli


Good morning!  Ah, it’s Sunday morning and time for a coffee cake.  There’s nothing like it early in the morning with a cup of steaming coffee.  I love the aroma coming from the oven, filled with a great cinnamon fragrance.  It makes the house smell like a bakery…

This is a recipe of Mom’s; it’s moist, buttery and filled with plenty of good things!  She added 1 cup of sugar, I add ¾ cup; she had a great sweet tooth and loved her sweets.  It also combines sour cream and chopped nuts, with a nice flavorful streusel on top. 

This coffee cake is very good and quite easy to make; quick like she says!  Mix it together; pop it in the oven and Voila!  You are ready to enjoy it hot out of the oven, warm or room temperature.  And it even freezes well if you care to do so.  I like it right out of the oven myself!

So get to baking your coffee cake and brew up your coffee!     



Quick Sour Cream Streusel Coffee Cake

Ingredients:

1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ cups flour, sifted
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla

Streusel topping:

½ cup pecans, chopped
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Method:

Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time, mixing all the time.
Add sour cream and baking soda.  Stir.
Sift flour with baking powder, add to mixture, stirring well.
Add vanilla and blend.

Combine ingredients for streusel, reserving 1/3 cup for top.

Grease 8” x 8” baking dish.
Pour half of mixture in pan.
Sprinkle with nut and cinnamon streusel mixture.
Spread remaining batter on top.
Sprinkle with remaining streusel mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.


I’m off to enjoy my big slice of coffee cake right now!  Here’s wishing you a wonderful Sunday! 




Pin It

24 comments:

  1. I'm OUT of butter~~~
    Dangnabit!
    Sent this recipe to myself, my daughter and my sis in law.
    By golly, this will become a family favorite!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for info. please visit my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. corgidogmama, you need to get some butter now! That is definitely needed for this! Thanks for spreading the word and here's wishing you a terrific Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing like waking up on the weekend to a piece of good coffee cake! There is something so comforting and irresistible about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cake Pam! Never heard of a 'streusel', learning something new from blogging all the time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS, I added your blog on my list on Only Recipes.

    XX
    A

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much; looks the Coffee cake recipe I need; everything makes is so good. I think I will have it with tea; hope that's ok; thanks.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's what I call a coffee cake. Perfect with that cup of good coffee... on the weekend... sitting on the lanai... listening to the birds singing....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cinnamon-Girl, you are right! It is comforting and something to look forward to for the next weekend!


    Alessandra, 'streusel'is a wonderful thing, yummy! That's what I love about these blogs also, we always can learn something new. Thanks for adding me and I have added you also!


    Sage, great! Tea works fine also! I have to have my coffee first thing in the morning. I read somewhere that apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning. Think I'll stick to coffee and you probably will to tea!



    Lyndsey, thanks! It sounds like you are still enjoying that sunny warm weather. Makes me so jealous!!!!!!!! I saw my first robin just the other day so maybe warm weather is heading here. Happy "lanaiing!!!" (Don't think that's a word but it works here!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG....Pam!...I'm drooling now...this is my favorite coffee cake...so good!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam, thanks! Love that drooling and I do my share of it. Hope you're having a fun day!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm... we are going skiing next week and I was thinking of taking ingredients for some cinnamon rolls but this sounds faster, easier and just as declicious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks wonderful Pam! Wonderful recipe. Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Good Cook, sounds like you are going to have a great week ahead of you! This recipe is fast and good also! Thanks for the visit and have a wonderful time skiing!


    Lucie, thanks so much for stopping by and I'm glad you like the recipe! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderful!! I love cinnamon anything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, it's better to make one fresh than to buy it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could I just grab my mug and come to your house?
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love recipes using sour cream, this must taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A piece of good coffee cake is like a breath of fresh air, especially on a Sunday morning. What a lovely thing to wake up to!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debbie Smith, me too! Love that cinnamon!


    Xio Yen Recipes, I so agree especially since we have few bakeries around here anymore.


    Mimi, wish you could come on over! I even have a red mug for you!


    3 hungry tummies, yes! The sour cream makes it nice and moist.


    Joanne, yes it is a lovely thing to wake up to! It starts the day off right!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet and Savory, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Pam!
    I made this this morning and it was delicious! I pinned it on Pinterest and it's getting lots of attention ;) http://pinterest.com/pin/260575528409611821/

    ReplyDelete
  23. This recipe saved my life today!! I needed a quick baked good to take to my moms group. I was gonna do my crockpot oatmeal but i forgot to turn the crockpot on lastnight!! So at 630 this morning im up on google looking for something quick to bake. My group starts at 9!! I found this and it turned out great!! I didnt have sourcream in the house so i got back on google and found a substitute. It was simply evaporated milk and vinegar mixed together. It worked out great!! Everyone loved it! Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam