all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, March 29, 2010

My POM Wonderful Pomegranate Syrup



So, what do you do with your pomegranate juice, drink it plain or zap it up a notch?  I’ll tell you what I do with mine later…

The pomegranate is one of the oldest fruits known, having originated in Persia and has folklore regarding it in many cultures.  Its seeds are a symbol of fertility and eternal life to Judaism followers and ancient Egyptians.  Jewish tradition teaches that it is the symbol of righteousness.  Before going to battle, Babylonians ate the seeds to ensure their strength, making them invincible.  It is even speculated to be the original forbidden fruit!

Pomegranates are about the size of an orange with a rosy red skin, encasing a plethora of tiny glistening red seeds.  I love, love those seeds, especially in a salad because of the crunch and the tartness but, another great and healthy thing is the juice of the pomegranate. 



Not all juices are created equal!  If you are only going to drink one glass of juice a day, make it POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice for its nutritional power with each sip.  Only POM Wonderful products are backed by $32 million in medical research, primarily in the areas of prostate, cardiovascular and erectile function.  Published clinical studies have documented the benefits of drinking eight ounces of POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice daily.  It contains no added sugars, preservatives, colors or cheap filler juices. 

Here are a few more reasons why we should be drinking pomegranate juice:  This valuable juice prevents breast cancer cells from forming, may inhibit the growth of lung cancer, prevent and slow Alzheimer’s disease, may prevent dental plaque, aid in the prevention of colon cancer, may play a role in inflammatory diseases such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome and arthritis and may well in fact aid insulin resistance. 

After reading so much information about this juice, I can assure you I will be drinking a glass of it every day.  I have always enjoyed eating pomegranates as I love the slightly tart taste of it and the crunch of the seeds like I said earlier; however, now I am a huge fan of the juice, thanks to Kristen at POM Wonderful!  It has a delicious flavor, not too sweet, that is enjoyable to drink!

I was working with the juice and incorporating it with other foods such as salad dressing when Bill mentioned he would like pancakes for breakfast one of these days.  Then, it dawned on me ~ maybe the pomegranate juice would work great as syrup.  And BAM!!!  It did and it is delicious!  Just ask Bill and others who sampled it!








Pomegranate Pancake Syrup

Ingredients:

3 cups POM Wonderful pomegranate juice, plus 4 teaspoons
3 teaspoons corn starch
3 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste (I use Splenda)
¼ teaspoon cinnamon extract
¼ teaspoon lemon extract
¼ teaspoon butter extract

Method:

Pour 3 cups juice into saucepan.
Add brown sugar.
Bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine corn starch with 4 teaspoons of juice.
Add slowly to saucepan, stirring constantly.
Add flavorings.
Cook until it reaches desired thickness.
Serve

Pam’s note:  This would also make a great sauce for ice cream, cheese cake, tartlets or as a sauce on fish, chicken or turkey. 


Pom Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice may well be the elixir of our lives!


Disclaimer:  The POM Wonderful pomegranate juice was given to me by Kristen from POM Wonderful for my utilization.  Thanks, Kristen!






19 comments:

Buttercup said...

Yummy! I need to work this into my cooking. Thanks for the ideas.

Sage said...

I love pomegranate but have never bought a bottle of juice. Have always looked at it and wondered. Now you gave me good resons to try it; reslly good stuff.
Rita

Mimi said...

Simple and delicious, great idea.
Mimi

Lyndsey said...

What a fantastic idea! This looks wonderful! I love, love, love pomegranate, and drink it quite often. I like how you think!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This is a very intriguing spin on pancake syrup. I do love POM wonderful, and it would have been hard for me to keep from drinking it up before the heavenly juice made it to the pan.

Dishesdone said...

Great idea for the syrup! Have to try it! I use the Pom juice in a vinaigrette, also good. So is just drinking :) We love the stuff, lucky you, got some to experiment with!

Pam said...

Buttercup, you're welcome! Happy cooking!


Sage, the same here. I was really surprised, it's great! I really like it because it is not overly sweet like so many juices.


Mimi, yes! Have a good day!


Lyndsey, thanks! I will be drinking it often now also.


Fresh Local and Best: thank you! I did pour some into a glass and sipped while I cooked! Yum!


Dishesdone, yes! I was so happy to receive it! I will be trying it in a vinaigrette also. I love the sweet/tart taste of the juice!

Gulmohar said...

Simple and yumm sauce..Should try this sometimes..Thanks Pam :-)

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

Now that's an idea - I'll have to give it a go :-)

Deborah said...

Oooh, I have some POM in my fridge - now I want pancakes!

Pam said...

Gulmohar, you're welcome! Have a good day!


Sarah-Jane, great! I hope you try it!


Deborah, it's really delicious! Go for the pancakes!

Debbi Smith said...

I've never had pom juice but I'll bet it was great as a syrup! Great idea!

Sue said...

Pomegranate juice is new to me Pam - I have come across it in drinks but not as a sort of syrup! I am going to have a hunt for it on my next shopping trip.

Karen said...

I bought a bottle of this just so I could see what all the hype was about. Almost $6 for a little bottle and I couldn't stand the taste of it straight. I ended up using it to make a Pom-Blueberry reduction to put over venison. It turned out real well. The syrup sounds like it'd be really good, too.

Pam said...

Debbi Smith, I hadn't had it before either and am so glad I tried it, love it!

Sue, it is delicious! Thanks!

Karen, I know what you mean with the price. I really like it though but then, I'm not real big on really sweet juices so I like this one a lot for the tartness.

Tiffanee said...

I have been wanting to try POM. I love pomagranates. This syrup looks delicious. You have some incredible looking recipes. I will be back often!!

Pam said...

Tiffanee, thanks so much! POM is really good and we really like the syrup. Just something a little different to top pancakes!

Cakebrain said...

what a great idea! thanks for the inspiration!

Pam said...

Cakebrain, you're welcome and thank you for the visit!