Mom’s Grasshopper Pie Recipe


Since this is the day for wearing green garb and paying tribute to the Emerald Isle, grasshopper pie is the perfect dessert.  

Do you love grasshopper cocktails?  I am a huge fan of mint and love grasshopper cocktails with that fresh minty intoxicating taste.  However, when I want a little more substance than a drink and to have my mint too, I go for grasshopper pie in a huge way.  This is a retro pie going back to the 1950’s and 60’s. 

Mom used to make grasshopper pies and I would love to follow her tradition; however, mint is not a favorite of Bill’s so that means I have to devour it all.   But surprisingly, a slice or two comes up missing.  I know because I count them!





GRASSHOPPER PIE

1 chocolate cookie crust
32 large marshmallows or 3 cups miniature marshmallows
½ cup milk
¼ cup crème de menthe
3 tablespoons white crème de cacao
1 ½ cups chilled whipping cream
Few drops green food coloring
1 (12-ounce) bar semi-sweet chocolate OR reserved wafer crumbs.

For pie crust:
1 ½ cups crushed chocolate wafers
¼ cup butter, melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees. 
Mix crumbs and margarine.  Reserve 3 tablespoons for topping, if desired.
Press remaining mixture firmly against bottom and side of pie plate. 
Bake for 10 minutes.  Cool to room temperature.

For Filling:

Heat marshmallows and milk over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until marshmallows are melted.
Place mixture in a bowl.
Refrigerate until thickened.
Stir in liqueurs.
Beat whipping cream in chilled bowl until stiff. 
Fold marshmallow mixture into whipped cream.
Fold in food coloring.
Pour into crust.
Sprinkle with reserved wafer crumbs.
Refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight.

OPTIONAL:
Just before serving, scrape a knife along chocolate bar to make shavings.
Scatter shavings over pie.


Yum, heavenly satisfying!!!



There was a young lady one fall
Who wore a newspaper dress to a ball.
The dress caught fire
And burned her entire
Front page, sporting section and all.




A man who was dining at Crewe,
Found quite a large mouse in his stew,
Said the waiter, "Don't shout!
And wave it about,
Or the rest will be wanting one too.


There once was a farmer from Leeds
Who swallowed a packet of seeds 
It soon came to pass 
He was covered with grass 
But has all the tomatoes he needs.


                  



Happy St. Patrick’s Day, everyone!




Comments

  1. This I wld love to try! Green is my weakness....I love anything green. mayb I shd have been Irish! :)) the pie looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OmiGOODNESS!!! This sounds Divine. I am totally saving this recipe to make. The problem is my husband doesn't like sweets so I end up eating it all on my own..haha, must make some friends to feed!
    I'm salivating looking at the photo and reading the recipe...mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that brings me back too. I remember the pretty little glass that my mom would drink the grasshopper with Creme de Minte out of. She made the dessert too. Yours looks super!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful pie..Never had this before and thanks for sharing the recipe..Happy St.pat's day Pam !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zurin, thanks! Gotta' love the Irish, the food and all the beautiful green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitty Stampede, thank you! I feel for you with the sweets! Too bad the kitties can't help you out and eat it also! Yeah, it makes me salivate also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lyndsey: Oh, wish I could see that pretty little glass and I bet your Mom enjoyed it all! My cousin, years ago, gave my Mom some crooked cocktail glasses and she would use them. Looked pretty good to me but, she wouldn't let me me have a taste. ;) I had my share of the pie though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red Couch Recipe, thanks for stopping by! It tastes pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gulmohar: Oh, it's something new to you! I hope you try it as it is so minty tasting and delightful! Happy St. Pat's Day to you also. I just returned from having a corned beef lunch at an Irish restaurant. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh! It has been so long since I've had grasshopper pie! Yours looks fantastic with shaved chocolate curls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember my grandmother making this pie and she thought the name of it was so funny! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks insanely delicious! It's been too long since I had this! When I was a kid I always thought their were real grasshoppers in it. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - this looks wonderful! Thanks for the recipe Pam and Happy St Patrick's Day. I have never heard of Grasshopper Pie before and I cna't wait to tell Nick that we are going to try it (I won't tell him what's in it though lol - I will keep him guessing)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fresh Local and Best, thanks so much!


    Karen, never thought about that! LOL!


    Cinnamon Girl, too funny and I can tell you if I saw a grasshopper hop out of it, that would be about the end of my love affair with it!


    Sue, that's my way of thinking! Always make them wonder! Thanks!


    LOVE2COOK, you and me both! Nothing like a little drool...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious! But if I had to chose I think I'd like a slice of that Irish Cream Cake - how about a small slice of each please :-)
    Love all your Irish recipes! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jeepers! Loved your limericks, with the Irish theme...but that pie...oh man....I could make MAJOR brownie points with hubby with this recipe. Chocolate...mint...this one takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chocolate and mint are among my all time favorites and this could lure me any day. Thanks and wishes for a very happy St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my!! That looks so delicious! I really want a piece right now. My dad would love this. I am going to have to make it for him next time he visits..or perhaps I will not wait that long. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't had the pie in ages! It looks fabulous! My kids and I love the limericks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. One word: just amazing. Oh wait, that was two. Oh well, it deserves both of them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Grashopper pie, a good dessert. Can I hop over for a piece? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love mint so i'll try this VERY soon! thnx for the recipe:))

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE grasshopper pie! Your picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Martha, that would work ~ 2 for 1!
    Thanks!


    corgidogmama: Your hubby knows what's good! Good luck with the brownie points!


    Buttercup: me too! Thanks for stopping by!


    Tiffanee: thanks! You are one good daughter, I'm sure!


    theUngourmet, thanks! It is delicious! Glad your kids had a laugh!


    Julie, thanks for your two words! I appreciate it and am glad you visited!


    Pete: sure, anytime! I even have a fork to go with it! Thanks!


    terri@adailyobsession: great! I hope you do! Thank you!


    Carrie, thanks! Martha does the pics much better than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  25. une petite merveille cette tarte, je prendrai volontiers un morceau au passage
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy St Patrick's Day to you too! Your pie looks divine! Had never tried grasshopper cocktail before but it sounds fabulous cause I love fresh mint flavour too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your mom's Grasshopper pie looks fantastic! A recipe I haven't made for years but should definitely be dusted off. An 'Oldie but Goodie'! Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fimere, thanks for stopping by! Wish my translator were here today!

    Simply Life, it is! Thank you!

    My Little Space, thanks! The cocktail is awesome also, very refreshing!

    SavoringTime in the Kitchen, it is an 'oldie but goodie'! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was looking for a good grasshopper pie recipe and I think I may have just found the one. :) It looks divine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

_________________________

"We plan, we toil, we suffer – in the hope of what? A camel-load of idol’s eyes? The title deeds of Radio City? The empire of Asia? A trip to the moon? No, no, no, no. Simply to wake just in time to smell coffee and bacon and eggs."
~ J.B. Priestly
_________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Popular Posts