all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lindsay’s Chocolate Café Chocolate Chip Cookies

 
Photo ~ Midwest Living magazine


I am a cookie fanatic and love just about any type, but especially a good chocolate chip cookie!

Midwest Living magazine published a wonderful recipe for chocolate chip cookies and I would like to share it with you.  These cookies are made at Lindsay’s Chocolate Café and Coffee House in O’Fallon, Missouri, in the St. Louis area.  I will definitely be visiting this café the next time I am headed that way!

The cookies have a “flavor-packed lineup” of ingredients that make for a great treat.  They are filled with rolled oats, grated milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate pieces and nuts to make each bite delectable.  The double chocolate adds color and flavor and the oats and nuts add a great chewy texture. 

The unique thing about this recipe is that the cookies can be baked on a preheated stone as well as cookie sheets.  The article states that the baking stone makes slightly crisper edges.  I have never heard of cookies being baked on a baking stone.  Have you?  I am really curious about that! 

Lindsay’s Chocolate Café Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

2½ cups regular rolled oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 12-oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)
1½ cups chopped walnuts or pecans
4 ounces milk chocolate bar, grated

Method:


In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
Add sugars; beat on medium speed until mixture is combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.
Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer.
Stir in any remaining flour mixture with a wooden spoon until combined.
Stir in chocolate pieces, nuts and grated chocolate.
Drop dough from a large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons) 4 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets or a preheated baking stone.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 9 to 10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
Cool on cookie sheets or baking stone for 1 minute.
Transfer to wire racks and let cool.
Makes 30 cookies.


This cookie is a star!




26 comments:

Pam said...

Pam.....those look so good...just the way I like them! Served up with some coffee! Heaven!

xoxo

Sarah Naveen said...

Awesome..looks so cute and yummy!!

Red Couch Recipes said...

They look yummy! Pam when you make them and send them my way, no stone for me...I prefer a soft cookie. Joni

Mimi said...

Interesting idea to use a baking stone. I wonder if they would stick to the stone.
Mimi

Sage said...

WOW! Over the years I spent lots of time perfection my Chocolate Chip cookies; with 4 boys they disappeared quickly; I am keeping this recipe for the next visit.
Thank you.
Rita

Dishesdone said...

Wow, those are really packed full of good stuff! They sound amazing! Copying this one, thanks!

Zia Elle said...

Baking stone is fantastic for pizza and bread and yes, some kind of biscuits (I don't know if it is ok for yours!)
When I was a little girl in my family house we use to have a wanderfull big baking stone!

Pam said...

Pam, it would be heaven!

Sarah Naveen, thanks! Love those cookies!

Red Couch Recipes, I'll have to remember that! I just hope I don't eat them all before I can get them in the mail to you!


Mimi, I wondered about that also. And I don't think many of them could bake at one time, seeing the size of the stone I have.

Sage, thanks! I know what you mean with your boys. I only have 2 so I can imagine how fast your cookies disappeared with 4 of them. Mine would eat things as fast as I could prepare it!

Dishesdone, like your name! Clever! Yes, I always like nuts and chocolate chips in my cookies!


Zia Elle, the only thing I have used my baking stone for is pizza. I want to bake bread on it one day soon. I have a feeling these cookies may be too crunchy and too brittle when baked on a stone. Lucky you when your mama had a large baking stone! I bet there were lots of great loaves of bread and pizzas on it!

Kathleen said...

Pam I can't wait to try these! YUM!!!

JG said...

Oh, it looks so good...a cookie made with oats has to be great!

À LA GRAHAM said...

Pam, they looks so good. I have a recipe really similar that I have been using for a long time. Biggiest difference is I use a f.p to grind the pecans, oatmeal and chocolate bar up into small pieces. And my mom always uses a baking stone...she loves cookies thin and crispy and I like them thick and chewy! I'm gonna give this one a try. They look delicious!

Martha said...

This looks like a really delicious cookie! Yummy!!

RV said...

This recipe is definitely a keeper and I love to eat the freshly baked cookies straight from the oven

Joanne said...

I love how you stuffed these with all the best parts of cookies! They are tantalizing!

Pam said...

Kathleen, Yum! It works for me! Thanks!

JG, I also love the oats addition, a little chewey!

Pam said...

A LA GRAHAM, some times I want thin and crispy, usually it's chewy with substance. It's interesting with you mother and the baking stone. This is the first I have heard of using it for cookies. I'm glad you like them! Thanks so much!

Pam said...

Martha, I think it's a great cookie. Love your toes with the water view!


RV, I do too ~ straight from the oven, nice and warm! Cookies are like a little bit of heaven to me.


Joanne, yes! I think they are stuffed with good things. I love nuts in cookies! The boys, when they were young didn't, so I made half with and half without.

THREE FOOD WORDS said...

I can't bake a cookie for anything...but I keep trying because I love them so!!! I will definitely try this one this weekend. It looks sooooooooo delicious.

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a kind remark!

Sook said...

Oh wow, I love finding new ways to enjoy chocolate chip cookies! Looks so chewy and delicious!

3 hungry tummies said...

I am sure they taste wonderful! I need a few of them to drag me out of this awful mood!

katiez said...

Oatmeal chocolate chip - LOVE them! any kind acutally. I made a ginger chcolate chip once.....

Cheah said...

Pam, this cookie looks so tempting .... will bookmark it. Have heard of a restaurant in Melbourne, serving food cooked on baking stone but baking cookies on them, no clue!

Pam said...

THREE FOOD WORDS, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess the answer is to read the recipe through carefully and then practice, practice, practice. Believe me, I've had my share of flops but keep at it! Thanks for your visit!


Sook, I love finding new cookie recipes also and have a ton of them!


3 hungry tummies, you definitely need some chocolate to cheer you up and I wish I could get some cookies through this internet to you! You have a good day today and I hope you're feeling better soon!!!


katiez, me too! I love about any cookies with oatmeal, nice and chewy! How was the ginger chocolate chip? It sounds different and good to me!


Cheah, I can't imagine cookies on a baking stone myself. Bet that restaurant serves some delicious food! I hope you will try these! Thanks for stopping by!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

What a perfectly yummy cookie! Loaded with irresistible goodies!

Esi said...

The cookies sounds wonderful!

Pam said...

Cinnamon-Girl, thanks! Have to love all those goodies!

Esi, thanks so much! They are wonderful!