all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Navy Bean Soup




My cousin, Vicki, commented a while back on my round steak post about how much she loves it and  when her Mom asked her what she wanted for her birthday dinner, she always requested round steak. 

I know exactly how she feels, it is just a simply delicious meal and I feel the same way about bean soup also.  This would be a perfect dinner to me anytime and especially on my birthday.  I am guessing there are very few people who love it that much.

When I was growing up, I could count on every Saturday night Grandma cooking bean soup and corn bread or sometimes it would be with dumplings and always a large glass of ice tea.  Those were the good old days, for sure!

Most people like bean soup in a bowl best, but many times I place a slice of bread on my plate, slather it with butter, load it up with bean soup and top it with a blob of ketchup.  Yum!!!  If I bake cornbread, that works just as well.

I like a thick bean soup, very basic, no added frills except for maybe a ham bone.  When the soup is nearly cooked, I mash some beans to thicken it up and then enjoy.  It’s like a touch of heaven to me and if only Bill would agree!



My Navy Bean Soup

Ingredients:

1 pound navy beans
1½ quarts water or more
1 small onion, chopped
Salt and pepper
Ham chunks, hock or bacon

Method:

Wash beans.
Add to dutch oven or a suitable pot.
Fill with of water.
Add ham, onion salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil.
Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until done.
With the back of a wooden spoon, mash some beans against the side of the pan to thicken the soup, if needed.
Serve


This is so simple but an absolute favorite of mine!  Yum!!!   Yum!!!




Pin It

27 comments:

elra said...

Simply delicious, that's the best!

Sage said...

Love bean soup and good for you!your recipe is simple to prepare and similar to mine. I make mine in the slow cooker.
Rita

Mimi said...

I love beans, but not to sure about the ketchup on top.
Mimi

Moogie said...

Yum... bean soup is pure comfort

Pam said...

elra, nothing like bean soup, I say!

Sage, good with the slow cooker. That would work great but, mine went into neverland somewhere.

Mimi, I know what you mean! Bill thought it was just a little weird the first time he saw me add it!

Moogie, right on! Love that comfort food!

Sarah Naveen said...

Simply delicious and healthy

Olive said...

I love beans soup but I have never tried making one myself. I didn't know it's easy to make it..thanks for sharing. :)

Karen said...

Simply and tasty - I'd like a big plop of ketchup on mine, too!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

You can't beat simple ingredients for the best food!
Great idea to mash some beans to thicken the soup. Never thought of that! Your recipe looks wonderful, and always love the stories that go along with your daily food offerings. Such fun!

Zia Elle said...

Delicious Pam, I love beans!!

Pam said...

Sarah Naveen, yes it is and that makes it even better!

Olive, it is so easy, you must give it a try!

Karen, I'm so happy to hear there is someone else who would go for the plop of ketchup! It adds some color also! ;)


corgidogmama, you just can't get much simpler than this unless you open a can and heat it up. Thank you!!!


Zia Elle, I'm so glad you those beans also! Makes me hungry right now thinking about them!

Sook said...

I'm actually making rice and beans today. I didnt used to like beans much but now that I'm trying to get protein from something else other than meat, I am trying different bean recipes whole lot more than I used to and now I love beans (certain kinds)... This soup looks fantastic! I will have to try it.

Gulmohar said...

Simple and delicious..such a protein packed soup..

Susan said...

I love bean soup and make mine very similar to how you did yours, including how to "thicken" it. Looks delicious!

Stella said...

This sounds wonderful, Pam. I love any kind of bean soup-so hearty and wholesome. By the way, your blogs looks different-great even!

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Pam, Looks like I picked the perfect night to introduce myself. Hi, my name is Louise and I LOVE simple Bean Soup!

Thanks for sharing...

P.S. Blog hopped from Meet Me in the Kitchen:) I also have a major weakness for cookbooks. I'd say, I'm addicted:)

Pam said...

Sook, I love rice and beans! Yum! Beans are a great source of protein and really a healthy food, so good for you for trying them all out!


Gulmohar, thanks! You're right!


Susan, glad to hear that! I read that somewhere a long time ago about thickening it and it works!


Stella, me too, love those beans! Thanks about the new look, all that pink became a little too much for me!

Pam said...

louise, how nice to meet you! I'm glad to meet another bean soup lover!

And I say there's nothing better than a good cookbook when you want something to read. It's a great addiction!

I will be checking your blog out! Thank you for the visit!

sangi said...

Wow!what a healthy n delicious soup!gr8 recipe.tnx a lot for sharing

My Little Space said...

Why not! Simple is beautiful!

MaryMoh said...

I have not heard of navy beans but this soup looks very delicious.

Martha said...

This sounds great Pam - Simple but delicious :-)

Pam said...

sangi, it is and thank you!

My Little Space, you are so right! Sometimes that is what's best!

Mary Moh, thanks for stopping by!

Martha, it is! Thank you for the visit!

Sue said...

Thanks for the recipe Pam!

Lynda said...

This looks hearty and delicious ... mmmmm !

Marilyn said...

Bean soup would not be my choice for my birthday, but you do have some good looking recipes. Thanks for visiting me today and taking a walk through the garden.

Pam said...

Sue, you're welcome! Thanks for the visit!

Lynda, it is hearty and my favorite!

Marilyn, thanks! I love strolling in your garden, very beautiful!