all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bubble and Squeak



No, this isn’t what happens when you’ve imbibed too much!  It is the name of a dish whose origin is unclear; however, it is definitely British.  There are so many theories about the name, but it probably has to do with the noises emitted while the cabbage is bubbling in the water and then squeaks in the skillet with the sausage.  Bubble and squeak was popular during World War II as it was a good way to use leftovers during the time when most food was rationed.

It is really one of the earliest forms of recycling; a traditional British dish that took leftovers from Sunday dinner and re-invented them into a tasty meal for Monday.  I love the combination of the 3 ingredients wrapped up in one dish.  Potatoes and cabbage absolutely is a perfect pair and the sausage just spices things up for more flavors. 

With the addition of eggs, the Brits eat bubble and squeak for breakfast as well as dinner.  It sounds great to me and a meal perfect for any time.  Bubble and squeak does not take a lot of effort but, it is high on goodness.  Love it!




Bubble and Squeak:

Ingredients:

4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 small head cabbage
1 pound pork sausage links
Salt and pepper

Method:

About 45 minutes to an hour before serving:

Place potatoes and cabbage in pan of water, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 20-25 minutes, until cooked and tender, drain well.

Meanwhile in large skillet over medium heat, cover and cook sausage links in 3 tablespoons of water for 5 minutes. 
Remove cover and brown sausage well on all sides, around 15 minutes.
Add cooked potatoes, cabbage, salt and pepper to sausage and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are well heated, occasionally turning all with a spatula. 
Place on platter and serve.

Pam’s note:  I place the potatoes and cabbage on the bottom of the skillet to get a bit of a crust from the sausage. 

This will absolutely fill your tummy up and make you bubble and squeak with delight when you eat it, even if you aren’t British!


12 comments:

Family American Style. said...

That looks so good. My husband would love it.

Pam said...

FAS, it is good, just plain comfort food for a cold winter day! Thanks for stopping by!

grace said...

i've heard of this dish many times but i never actually knew what it was! i feel silly now, knowing that it's simply taters, cabbage, and sausage. truly, those three combine to form an a-plus breakfast in any way!

Pam said...

Grace, LOL! It is just pretty common comfy food, and for me the taters make it awsome! Try it on a cold winter night, with lots of snow, like we're having now. It warms the soul!

Treehouse Chef said...

I can't believe I have never heard of this before. It has all of my favorite ingredients. Can't wait to try it. Thats my kind of comfort food!

Lynda said...

I have heard of this dish, but had no idea what it was- it's just great tasting comfort food, I'd say!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Esi said...

I've never had this before. Sounds interesting though.

Pam said...

T Chef, Lynda and Esi: I'm glad you like the sound of it! Try it, it's really good and filling too!

midwesttomidlands said...

I have heard of this, but never made it. In fact I have Emma Bridgewater dishes that have Bubble and Squeak written on them. I will def have to try this recipe from across the pond!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Following nearly a lifetime of reading "English" authors...this, is bubble and squeak! Thanks for the visuals.

Pam said...

MTM: Kind of funny since you're across the pond! Hope you try it!

Pam said...

Corgidogmama: At last you know! Glad I helped you out! It's just another great comfort dish!