all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Baked Beans, My Way

 
Bubba, 1971, almost 3 years old



I haven’t met a bean I didn’t like!  Baked beans is everyday food for every man, woman and child and depending upon where you are from, there are probably as many versions as there are people. 

Way down Texas way, they are “cowboy beans” with ground beef and plenty of ketchup.  In the Boston area, they are sweetened with molasses, while in New England they are loaded with maple syrup.  Down south, pork is the star in a baked bean dish, out Washington way:  they add bacon and apples to their baked beans.  I have no idea where my mine fit in, maybe a little of all; I just know they are delicious and so does Bubba (Bill, Jr.!)  They are his favorite and mine also. 

This baked bean dish is filled with lots of crumbled bacon, and a sauce of brown sugar, molasses and vinegar with a little dry mustard for a tang.  They are not spicy and not overly sweet, they just have a pleasant taste.  I used to make baked beans with a recipe that required soaking the beans over-night.  It was good but, this is so much easier using the canned beans; no one would know the difference!  They are delicious!

Baked Beans

½ pound bacon, fried and crumbled
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ cup molasses
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 medium onion, chopped
4 (16-oounce) cans pork and beans

Fry bacon and reserve 2 tablespoons drippings
Pour beans into a large bowl.
Add ½ of the crumbled bacon and the bacon drippings.
Add the remaining ingredients, one by one, stirring well after each addition.
Pour into a bean pot or casserole dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until done.  It will be thickened and bubbly.

Yummy!


Now, tell me!  What do you think makes the perfect baked bean dish?  How do you or someone in your family, or a friend make them?  I would love to hear!




11 comments:

Bubba said...

And as good as they are fresh from the oven, they're better the next day.
And thanks for finding probably the one picture in existence of me at that age where you didn't make me dress too strange.

Karen said...

I grew up in New England, so my Mom would make start-from-scratch Boston Baked Beans... baked all day in a slow oven. I've had beans similar to this recipe you posted and they were absolutely delicious! When I make beans, it's usually with a ham hock or ham bone in a tomato-sauce base. Thanks for visiting my blog and I'm glad to have found yours!

Pam said...

Bubba: That' right! They are better the next day!

Really? I always thought you dressed in style every day back then!

Karen: Oh, "made from scratch" Boston Baked Beans sounds great to me! I've done this with a ham hock also; different, more "meaty" taste that is good also. Thanks for your Mom's way and your way also!

Sook said...

I love baked beans!! This recipe looks so great! I will try it for sure.

Jess said...

Yum, baked beans...one of those things I love to eat, but haven't attempted yet (opening a can of Bush's certainly doesn't count). Thanks for stopping by my blog - and I love your sidebar quotes, especially Marion Cunningham's!

Barbara said...

Hi Pam Thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm with Bubba...I love them best the next day too.

Alessandra said...

Hi Pam, thank you for visiting my blog!

I make baked beans mostly Italian style (of course), we don't put sugar or molasses or vinegar.

we mainly use olive oil and herbs :-)

Katherine Aucoin said...

Pam, those are some good looking beans. I have a recipe that I make that is similar, but to be honest, i haven't met a bean i didn't like!

Pam said...

Sook: Thanks! I hope you like them!

Jess: Thanks for your comment about the sidebar! I think Marion said it perfectly, the dinner table is a great place for a family to connect.


Barbara: Yes, Bubba knows what's good and you do also! I can even eat them cold. Thanks!


Alessandra: I love Italian food, especially cannellini beans! I'm sure our are a little sweeter than yours. Thanks for the visit!

Katherine: I feel the same way! Love those beans! Thank you for stopping by!

The Japanese Redneck said...

That is just about exactly how we make our baked beans. Only big difference is the cornstarch. I've never used that in my beans.

Pam said...

The Japanese Redneck: Great minds think alike! I never thought about it but, the corn starch may not be needed to thicken it due to the starch in the beans!

Thanks!