all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Grace’s Glazed Ham Loaf


When Bill and I were dating, the first time he came to our house for dinner, Mom served ham loaf.  I had no idea until years later, after we married, that he didn't care for ham loaf at all.  He was a trooper that day though, and there was no inkling that he didn't like the meat!




I love this dish!  Yum!!!  This is a succulent entrée, that's excellent any time of year --- a perfect meat for company that is a little out of the ordinary. 

Grace, Mom’s friend, gave her this excellent recipe and it is a keeper, for sure.  The ham and pork mixture is moist and full of flavor and the tangy brown sugar glaze is the key.  You can grind your own ham or ask your butcher to do it for you like I do.  

It is a hearty traditional German recipe with a mixture of old-world flavors that will hopefully please your family and friends!

It would be so good served with a salad, mashed potatoes, steamed asparagus or even corn bread.

Grace’s Glazed Ham Loaf

Ingredients:

1 ½ pound smoked ham, ground
1 pound lean pork, ground
1 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients.  Form into a loaf in a baking dish.

Syrup
Ingredients:

1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup water
¾ cup vinegar
1 ½ teaspoon dry mustard

Method:

Mix together above ingredients in a sauce pan.
Boil to a thin syrup.
Pour onto ham loaf.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours.
Baste every 15 minutes.


Absolutely delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I remember as a child visiting my Aunt Dorothy in Kentucky and she served us a ham loaf for dinner. I took one look at it and thought "Oh Yuck!". Of course my mother (Dorothy's sister) had taught me to be polite so I mustered up the courage to take one little timid bite of it. To my surprise it was delicious! It is still the best ham loaf I've ever tasted. I'm happy to see the recipe posted - I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, I'm so glad you were a courageous little girl and took a bite! And then discovered that you really liked ham loaf!

    The first time Bill came to my house for dinner, Mom served ham loaf and he thought "Oh Yuck" also, although I didn't know it then. Later, when he told me about it, I laughed and was amazed; I thought everyone loved ham loaf!

    I hope you'll give it a try. You know it's delicious and it is so easy also!

    Thanks for the comment, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam