all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Incredible Meatloaf


What can I say? I make an incredible meatloaf!  ☺




Ummm, nothing makes me happier than a good meatloaf for the perfect comfort food!  Half ground beef, half ground pork, chopped fresh green pepper, Vidalia onion, cracker crumbs and seasonings bakes into the perfect entrée for a cold, snowy winter night here in the Midwest. 

The pork is a must, that’s what gives it its distinct savory flavor.  In my opinion, it works best with a few cracker crumbs, no bread crumbs, no oatmeal, and no cornflakes to make it mushy or grainy.  Bill is not a green pepper fan, but he says it is a must for meatloaf as it complements the meat and I wholeheartedly agree.  I’ve tried many toppings for my meatloaf and always end up just slathering ketchup over it, no fancy sauces. And it does not make it sweet.

Be sure to make plenty in order to have leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches on good crusty bread, spread with a little mayonnaise!

Meatloaf is so tasty served with a crispy skinned baked potato and cole slaw; it makes me “darn near euphoric” just thinking about it!  Give my recipe a try and let me know how much you like it!

My Incredible Meatloaf

Ingredients:

1 ½ pounds ground beef
1 ½ pounds ground pork
6 saltine crackers, crushed
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
1 egg
½ cup ketchup
½ green bell pepper, chopped
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon McCormick’s Seasoned Pepper Blend
2/3 cup milk
Ketchup, for topping

Method:

Combine all ingredients, mix very well with your hands.
Place into a baking dish sprayed with Pam, form into a loaf.
Spread ketchup over top.
Bake about 1 ½ hours at 350 degrees, till done.
Let sit for a couple of minutes after baking, then slice.

Note:  About half-way through baking time, I drain off drippings. 



YUM, YUM, YUM !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam