all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies



Actually, I think this decadent candy-filled cookie has the wrong name.  If I should tell Bill, I’m baking the “Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies” I know exactly how it would go down; he would say, “ok.”  But, if I should tell him I’m baking the “Rolo” cookie, he would know exactly which one I mean and I’d get an “OK!!!”  That’s because these yummy cookies are stuffed with Rolo chewy caramels.

Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies are made of a luscious chocolate pecan dough wrapped around a Rolo, pressed into a sugar and pecan mixture for a topping and baked.  When cooled, they can be frosted with a vanilla-flavored candy coating, if you wish them to be even more decadent and richer.   They make a pretty cookie too!

Bill is retired now but, I always sent him to work at Christmas time with a plate of home-made Christmas cookies.  This cookie was a hit and his co-worker, Bob, even liked them so much he baked them himself.  By the way, Bob has a great web site.  Look at who he is the spitting image of.

These cookies are a must if you are a chocolate lover.  They are truly a great cookie you should try if you haven’t yet!


Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients:

2 ½ cups flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans
48 Rolo Chewy Caramels
1 T. sugar
4 ounces vanilla-flavored candy coating, optional.

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.  In small bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; blend well. 
In large bowl, beat 1 cup, brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
Add vanilla and eggs.  Beat well. 
Add flour mixture; combine well.
Stir in ½ cup of pecans.
For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 tablespoon of dough around 1 Rolo, covering completely.
In small bow, combine remaining ½ cup pecans and 1 tablespoon sugar.
Press 1 side of each cookie into pecan mixture.
Place, nut side up, 2” apart on cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until set and slightly cracked.
Melt candy coating and drizzle on top, if desired.

Now, don’t you think “Rolo Christmas Cookies” should be the name of them also?

They are definitely decadent!




Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Pam, we are two peas in a pod! My kids are coming for the holidays and we're going to make this recipe for sure. And I love what you say in your profile--you are so right on! I'm concerned families are no longer enjoying family dinner on a regular basis, so I'm blogging about this, specifically ways to help busy busy moms work smarter in their kitchens, get organized, etc., so they'll more inclined to get dinner on. With your permission, I'd like to quote some of your profile comments as I go along-- would that be OK? (You can see what I'm doing and about at makingfamilydinnerhourpossible.blogspot.com.) Thanks for such a nice blog, and I'm thrilled I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, it does sound like we are two of a kind! Go right ahead and quote, that's fine. I hope you enjoy the cookies as much as we do. Your blog sounds interesting and I will be checking it out. I'm so happy you stopped by and thank you for the nice kind comment!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam