Grandma’s Nut Bread


English Walnut Tree

I adored my grandmother, Maude!  We lived on our farm outside of Columbus, Ohio until I was 11 and moved to Louisville, KY. In Pickerington, Ohio, Grandma and Grandpa lived on the farm across the road, just down a little ways from us.  I was on my bike every day pedaling to her house to see what was going on.  She never scolded me, was always kind and loving.  I could do no wrong in her eyes and I loved her dearly and tried to live up to her expectations. 

Grandma was a good seamstress, sewing a lot of my clothing when I was young.  She loved her family and friends and also loved doing crossword puzzles, a slice of bread soaked in a glass of milk, reading scripture, watching the Ruth Lyons 50/50 Club every week-day on TV,  peanut cluster candy, aprons, watching Midwestern Hayride on Saturday nights, playing the piano, clipping recipes, Pepsi Cola, doilies, the foods she canned, their big black cat, “Mugs,” and especially Elvis Presley.  But, I’m sure, most of all, she loved giving all of her grandchildren a round of worm medicine each and every summer; she insisted upon it and to her credit, not one of us ever had worms!!!          
         

Grandma was a short small lady who always seemed to have her apron on, whether she was in the kitchen or not.  She was the mother of 7 kids and cooked for family and friends; actually, for anyone who showed up at the door.  I’ve got many happy memories of her and the best ones are of just talking to her while she was cooking or baking.  Grandma could cook some mean fried potatoes and I loved her cookies and this nutritious, delicious moist nut bread, which she baked every Thanksgiving.

Grandma’s Nut Bread

Ingredients:

2 well-beaten eggs
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups buttermilk
4 cups flour, sifted
½ t. salt
1 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1 cup walnuts – whole

Method:

Beat eggs and sugar thoroughly with beater.
Add buttermilk, beat well.
Add sifted flour with salt, baking powder and soda.  Stir well.
Stir in whole walnuts.
Pour into 9x5 loaf pans.
Let stand for 10 minutes before baking.
Shake out air bubbles.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes-1 hours, until toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 2 loaves


YUM!!!

Comments

Popular Posts